Tuesday, March 04, 2008
I've been thinking recently about the advantages that downtown has to offer and came up with the following:
- Accessibility - St. Louis' major highways converge downtown, making it easily accessible to people from all over the area. It's also well-served by MetroLink and bus lines. As the Illinois suburbs continue to grow, downtown will become more and more of an attractive option - many firms that have decided to remain downtown or relocated downtown have cited the need to be more accessible to their Illinois employees.
- Low rental rates - Quality downtown office space is CHEAP when compared not only to other cities, but other parts of the St. Louis area.
- Abundant parking - Downtown offers many different parking options for those who choose to drive to work, from reasonably priced garages to lots that charge just a few bucks a day.
- Wide range of workspaces - Downtown is home to modern Class A high-rises, affordable Class B space, cool renovated lofts and numerous other options. From silk stocking law firms to ad agencies to high-tech startups, any type of business can easily find a suitable home downtown.
- Hotels - Downtown features an abundance of hotels in a variety of price ranges, making it easy to accomodate out-of-town clients and other guests.
- Dining and entertainment - Working downtown gives employees a wide and ever-growing array of dining options both during and after work, and it's great to be able to walk a few short blocks to lunch instead of having to get in a car and drive somewhere. It's also a great place to entertain clients, with upscale restaurants, private clubs and numerous other places And during baseball season especially, downtown is the place to be.
- Easy - Lunch breaks can become productive time for downtown workers. Pick up dry cleaning, visit the library, pick up items for dinner at City Grocers (and soon, Schnucks), shop at Macy's, get fit at the gym, head to a spa or salon, or just spend some time at the Arch grounds to relax (how many other business districts in the St. Louis area have a NATIONAL PARK in their backyard?) - all without driving.
- Image - Simply put, high-rise CBD office towers are an impressive place to do business. A downtown address shows that your business has arrived, especially to out-of-towners, and downtown offers a business environment that simply can't be replicated elsewhere in St. Louis.
- Infrastructure - Downtown has redundant power and an unrivaled infrastructure (telecommunications and fiber optics) for IT/tech companies.
- Inspiration and excitement - Downtown is a stimulating to the senses. Things such as the character of its historic buildings and the energy of its environment make downtown a FUN place to do business. It's exciting to see new shops, restaurants and other businesses opening up every month.
- Community - Working downtown makes it easy to network. Human beings are social animals, and it's not uncommon to run into friends, clients and former co-workers out on the street, something that just doesn't happen in suburban office parks.
What am I missing?