Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Businesses I'd Like to Have Downtown: A Quiet Pub

Downtown already has plenty of sports bars, clubs and smokey dives, and a wine bar is even slated to open soon next to Left Bank Books. But what I'd really like to see is a nice, quiet(er), homey place in which to sip a pint and enjoy good conversation with friends. Preferably smoke-free.

Two perfect spots: the first floor of the LaSalle Building and 923 Locust, if the Roberts Brothers were to decide not to tear it down for a pointless driveway at Hotel Indigo.

7 comments:

Justin Ellis said...

I completely agree with the LaSalle location. I work near this building and would love to stop by on the way home to grab a pint. I would also love to see that building become occupied and give that block some more life.

Anonymous said...

The Dubliner's not bad for that. Though it can get kind of loud in there.
Maybe the old Dooley's space?

Brian said...

^
Good call on the Dooley's space.

I do like The Dubliner very much, but it isn't very intimate. It's also kind of sports bar-ish in some regards, albeit with a focus on European sports.

Justin, I also work by the LaSalle and walk by it almost every day. It's sad to see it in its current state. If/when that whole block comes back to life, it will really improve the look and feel of Broadway.

Matt Kastner said...

While I like the idea, I am wondering if the concept isn't an oxymoron? I can't think of a real-world example of a dark pub that is quite. In St. Louis at least.

Brian said...

I was thinking something along the lines of Dressel's on Euclid.

Anonymous said...

If you want a nice quiet place to sit back and have nice conversation, try Café Cioccolato at 816 Olive Street. They offer wine, martini's, liqueurs, espresso drinks and soon some imported beers as well as lots of chocolate in a very relaxed atmosphere. Definitely an intimate atmosphere.

Anonymous said...

Smoke-free would be excellent.